Administrative Separations in Korea

How you leave the military will influence what you achieve in the civilian world

Service members facing a General or Other Than Honorable (OTH) discharge are often more preoccupied with getting out of the military than they are with their futures after the military. What they don’t understand is just how important it is to leave the U.S. Armed Forces under honorable conditions. You may be leaving the military behind, but you’re NOT leaving behind your past reputation. That’s going to follow you your whole life—and you better make sure it’s a reputation you can live with.

It’s not just about how people look at you and think about you. A General or OTH discharge will affect your future job opportunities and promotions for the rest of your life. Even ONE missed opportunity for a higher paying job could set you back years, forcing you to wait on buying a house, saving up for retirement, having children. An OTH discharge can be so toxic to career growth that it could literally lose you tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars over your lifetime. And this isn’t even including your G.I. Bill benefits, which you’ll never receive a penny of.

What is a general and other than honorable discharge and what can I do to avoid them?

When you go into the military, you fully expect to leave it with an honorable discharge. An honorable discharge will ensure you receive all of your military benefits, including your Post-911 GI Bill, mortgage assistance, and various other VA benefits. You’ve defended your country and volunteered your time in the service of the armed forces. You deserve these benefits and you have every right to fight for them.

These benefits, however, along with the respect of future civilian enterprises that you choose to apply for, could be in jeopardy should you receive a general or OTH discharge.

If you’re separated from the military through a General Discharge, you could see the complete loss of Post-911 GI Bill. You have every right to fight this discharge characterization. If the military is recommending you for an OTH discharge or if you’ve served for six years or more in the military, then you have a right to be represented before an administrative separation board to plead your case. At this board, you can be discharged with an honorable characterization of service or even be retained in the service.

Your future may depend on the actions you take today. Fight to be retained or receive your honorable discharge

Bilecki & Tipon has been securing positive outcomes for service members at administrative separation boards for years. With over 30+ years of combined experience behind us and hundreds of court martial cases taken to verdict, we truly are the premier law firm representing service members throughout Korea and the Pacific Rim.

You have the right to defend your benefits and your future. Contact the law firm of Bilecki & Tipon today at (800) 996-9747 to set up your initial consultation and learn more about how we can help you from being discharged from the service with an Other Than Honorable discharge.

Contact Us

Get in touch with us today! We can help you with your case today.

Submit Your Information Here

Awards & Memberships: